Asao 2022 Meeting: GUIDING VALUES
We expect that all those who participate in ASAO 2022 to treat each other with respect, kindness, dignity, and with a spirit of generosity for our relationships, relational space, and diverse identities. One of the unique aspects of ASAO is that it provides opportunities for scholars from a variety of backgrounds, and at varying stages of their careers, to engage with one another in a collegial and supportive environment. Constructive criticism and debate is welcomed, when it is done in a considerate manner. Harrassment, disrespect, discrimination, and bigotry will not be tolerated in behaviour, speech, and/or imagery. We ask that you keep our guiding values in mind as you participate in the ASAO annual meeting.
- Ensure everyone is able to contribute.
- Talkative people: remember to leave space for others, and if you are inspired to talk or ask a lot of questions, consider waiting to make sure others have had an opportunity to speak.
- Quieter people: consider contributing your perspective and know that they are welcomed and valuable.
- One speaker at a time
- Indicate if you want to speak and wait for your turn.
- Treat each other’s opinions with respect even/especially if you don’t agree with them.
- Take responsibility for your comments.
- Respond with grace, respect, and care.
- Critique ideas, not people.
- Confidentiality: some things should not be repeated outside of a session.
- Confidentiality should be stated and respected by all members.
- Confidential video, links and files should not be shared.
- Shared communications should be agreed upon and unified.
- Be conscious of time and help stick to it, or negotiate for more.
HOW TO REPORT A VIOLATION OF OUR GUIDING VALUES
Please report violations of our guiding values to ASAO Board of Directors Co-Chair Cristela Garcia-Spitz at email@example.com.
Members of the ASAO Board will be present throughout the meeting to support session organisers in moderating their sessions and to troubleshoot any issues. We also encourage other ASAO members to respond to any disrespectful behaviour by discouraging it and guiding individuals back to more mana-enhancing modes of interaction. Anyone found to violate our guiding values will not be permitted to continue attending ASAO 2022 (at the discretion of the Board).
We, ASAO Board members and officers, will endeavour to:
- Support session organisers in their moderation decisions;
- Communicate with disrespectful individuals about their behaviour;
- Support those who have experienced disrespectful behaviour through appropriate channels;
- Remove disrespectful individuals from sessions;
- Address and potentially remove from ASAO 2022, with no refund (this will be a Board decision) individuals that produce offensive content (e.g. trolling, verbal abuse and/or harassment, degrading language, offensive imagery);
- Address and potentially remove from ASAO 2022, with no refund (this will be a Board decision) individuals that create sustained disruptions of events (e.g. talking ove
MODERATION GUIDELINES FOR HOSTS (ASAO BOARD MEMBERS AND OFFICERS)
- Check in with session organizers and support their decisions;
- Communicate directly with disrespectful members about their behaviour privately;
- Communicate with other Board members to make decisions about removing individuals from the meeting (this will be a Board decision on a case-by-case basis).